The alley behind Darsey’s store and on into the next block behind the Kennedy property was a favorite “highway” when practically every child in Grapeland had a horse or access to a horse. Mr. Roy Brewton used it, too, and trotted back and forth from the store to the warehouse. Geo. E. Darsey, Jr. called it Brewton’s Alley. The Brewton family came to Houston County some twenty years before a Brewton lived in Grapeland. They came from Brewton, Alabama by way of Holly Springs, Mississippi, where they were living during the Civil war. “Crick” Brewton was a quartermaster in the Confederate Army. When they came to Texas, the men and boys came in covered wagons, but at least some of the women came by the “cars”. They settled in Oakland, then a community about eight miles west of Crockett. “Crick” (short for his nickname “Cricket”) farmed and ran the cotton gin. He had five children: Johnny, Hebert, Major, Ada and Roy. The boys were farmers and Ada married a farmer. In 1908, Rand Whenny and his wife, Ada Brewton Whenny, decided to open a store in Grapeland, With them came Charles Alec Roy Brewton (born November, 1876) and his family – his wife, Kate Rencher Brewton and two boys, Ray Rencher, who was four years old, and an infant, Guy Edmond, always called Guy Ed. In 1919, the Whennys moved on to Houston and Roy Brewton moved down the street to the Geo. E. Darsey General Merchandise Store where he remained until his retirement on January 1, 1948. Mr. Roy became a buyer in the grocery department of the general merchandise store and as a part of his job; he also bought or “bartered for” chickens and eggs which were in turn sold toHouston buyers who made regular trips to Grapeland. This was when he made many trips back and forth-moving at a distinctive running walk-to the warehouse across the alley. Mr. Roy was a natural born salesman and usually “won the money”, as salesman of the month. A generation of children grew up knowing “Mr. Roy” who was generous with bubble gum and penny candies. After the death of “Mr. Roy” on December 1948 and of his wife, “Miss Kate” in February 1950, there were no Brewtons in Grapeland until 1968 when the younger son, Guy Ed, retired and built on the family farm one and a half miles from downtown Grapeland. This farm had been purchased in 1908 with money which had come from the sale of the family farm in Oakland. There are no direct descendents of Roy Brewton to carry on the name. Rencher and Guy Ed both had girls. The old Brewton house on College Street has recently burned. Sc “Brewton Alley” will be the only tangible link with the past.